Tina M. James, Attorney
Tina M. James, Esq., is an experienced advocate, planner, and litigator. Her legal work focuses on estate planning and administration, guardianship, and special needs planning for individuals with disabilities and their families.
She previously worked as a litigator with a national law firm and served as a judicial law clerk in the New Jersey Superior Court, Appellate Division. She has successfully argued before the Florida Supreme Court as well as other state and federal courts. Tina was selected for inclusion in the Super Lawyers Rising Stars in 2015 and 2016.
Tina received her juris doctorate from Rutgers University School of Law, and her undergraduate degree from Rutgers University, Douglass College. Personally and professionally, Tina is committed to promoting all aspects of diversity and inclusion. She volunteers with a variety of non-profit organizations serving children and is a past member of the Board of Directors for the Florida Diversity Council.
- New Jersey Bar, December 2010
- Florida Bar, May 2011
- New Jersey State Bar Association (Elder Law Section Member, Solo and Small Firm Section Member)
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association (Member)
- Middlesex County Bar Association
- Rutgers, School of Management and Labor Relations, New Brunswick, NJ Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace Graduate Certification, May 2011
- Rutgers School of Law, Camden, NJ Juris Doctor, May 2010
- Douglass College, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ B.A. in Women’s Studies, with High Honors, May 2006
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 2012
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2012
- Author, “Hired Help: Beware of rule changes for household employees and how they apply to home care workers.” éBella Magazine, November 2014.
- Author, “Copying Your Attorney Isn’t Enough to Protect an Email from Disclosure.” Quarles & Brady, Labor & Employment Law Update, August 2014.
- Presenter, “Demystifying Misclassification.” Southwest Florida Networking Group, October 2014.
- Presenter, “Connecting Criminal Background Checks to a Racially Imbalanced Workforce.” Southwest Florida Diversity Council, September 2013.
- Presenter, “Mandatory Reporting Obligations for Educators.” Naples Community School, September 2013.
- Presenter,“Legal Basics for a Diverse Workplace: Diversity Legislation.” Southwest Florida Diversity Council, August 2012.
- Editor,“Trade Secrets and Agreements Not to Compete.” Defense Research Institute, 2012, 2nd Ed. (Chapters on Florida Non-Compete Agreements and Trade Secrets).
- Author, “Utah’s Unnecessary Rigor Provision.” 40 Rutgers L.J. 885 (2009).
- Author,Scholarship Essay for New Jersey Women Lawyers Association, “Gender Hurdles: Straddling Masculinity and Femininity in the Legal Profession.” published in the Women’s Initiative and Leadership Law Platinum Gala Journal, April 2, 2009.
- Author,“New Jersey Sits at the Head of the Class.” Conspectus, Volume 12, No. 2. Summer 2008 (article on New Jersey Constitution and its sophisticated separation-of-power framework).
- Author, “The Backlash against Marriage Equality: Eroding Protections for Same-Sex Victims of Domestic Violence.” Senior Thesis. Douglass College, 2006.
- Presenter,“Community Resources and Referrals for Domestic Violence.” Rutgers University Domestic Violence Response Team, March 2005.
- Presenter,“Domestic Violence and Diversity.” Rutgers University Domestic Violence Response Team, March 2004.
January 1, 2014
Life/Career Event #1
January 1, 2015